The processing of Montioni Montefalco Rosso D.O.C. begins with the hand-picking of grapes from September to October, followed by a 15-day fermentation, a 12-month aging in barrique, and finally 6 months in the bottle.
Montioni Montefalco Rosso is a multivarietal red wine
Montioni Montefalco Rosso comes from the selection and mixing of different grapes: Sangiovese and Sagrantino. However, the Protocol relating to "Montefalco" allows other red grape varieties to contribute to the creation of this Umbrian gem, provided they are suitable for cultivation in Umbria and up to 30% of its composition.
From here the Azienda Agricola Montioni has started to create its typical and unique Montefalco Rosso DOC, composed of 65% Sangiovese grapes, 20% Merlot grapes, and 15% Sagrantino grapes, which goes well with the hills of Montefalco, where the Montionis’ vineyards are located, at 450 meters above sea level. Indeed, the production area of Montefalco Rosso D.O.C. is limited and very specific as well as the environmental and cultivation conditions of the vineyards from which the characteristics of this unique wine derive.
What are the peculiarities of Montefalco Rosso?
The result is a Montefalco Rosso with unique characteristics. The bright ruby red colour anticipates the typical aroma of a young red wine, flavoured with notes of spices and ripe fruit, such as berries, plums, and wild blackberries. The taste is undoubtedly dry, harmonious, and at the same time lingering, yet not aggressive.
Montioni Montelfalco Rosso DOC is a red wine which, thanks to its character, is easy to appreciate with grilled meats, mature cheeses, and first courses with meat sauces.
The best way to fully enjoy this wine is to serve it at a temperature of about 64 °F and open it at least an hour before tasting.
Currently the on-line selling is active only in ITALY. For foreign shipments contact us by our contact form.
- Montioni Montefalco Rosso D.O.C.
- Medium aging red wine
- GRAPE VARIETY
- Sangiovese 65% - Merlot 20% - Sagrantino 15%
- PRODUCTION AREA
- 450 metri a.s.l.
- By hand, depending on the different ripening periods of the vines (September - October)
- Fermentation in steel at controlled temperature with maceration on the skins for 15 days
- WOOD AGING
- 12 months in small French wooden barrels
- 6 months in the bottle
- Deep and bright ruby red
- It elegantly starts with hints of spices, berries, and ripe plums followed by notes of wild blackberries
- Balanced, lingering, but not aggressive
- SERVING TEMPERATURE
- 64 °F
- ALCHOL CONTENT
- 14% by vol.
- FOOD PAIRING
- Grilled red meats, mature cheeses, grilled vegetables, and pasta with meat sauce
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- It is better to open the bottle 1 hour before being served
- 750 ml.
- Bibenda - Gilbert et Gaillard - Veronelli - Suckling - Wine Spectator