Traditional Umbrian recipe: Easter Cake
In the last recipe we proposed a typical Umbrian savory Easter dish. But how to properly conclude the Easter lunch if not with a dessert?
In Umbria we usually prepare a delicious and original specialty: have you ever heard of our Easter Cake? Here is the recipe!
These are the ingredients to prepare 3 cakes:
- 8 eggs
- 400 g of sugar
- 400 g OO flour
- 400 g manitoba flour
- 75 gr (3 cubes) brewer’s yeast
- 300 g warm milk
- 150 g butter
- 2 vanillins
- 100 grams of candied fruit
- 100 g raisins
- Grated orange peel
- Grated lemon peel
- Montioni EVO Oil
As with Easter cheese pizza, even sweet pizza first needs pre-dough..
Procedure for making pre-dough:
1) Pour a glass of warm water into a bowl and dissolve a cube (25 g) of brewer’s yeast, adding a little flour until the dough becomes soft.
2) Cover with film and leave to rest for one hour.
(Pre-dough after 1 hour of leavening)
Procedure for sweet pizza:
1) Place the pre-dough in the stand mixer by adding 8 egg yolks, previously separated from the egg whites (which, in turn, must be set aside in another bowl), sugar, orange peel and grated lemon peel.
2) In another bowl dissolve 2 cubes (50 g) of brewer’s yeast with warm milk.
3) Add the butter to the ingredients and begin mixing the dough in the mixer, then add the 2 vanillins.
4) In the meantime, whip the egg whites with the electric whips in another bowl.
5) Add the manitoba flour and the mixture obtained from the brewer’s yeast dissolved with the lukewarm milk.
6)Then add the 00 flour, continuing to mix in the planetary, and the egg whites whipped to snow.
7) Pour the dough on a work surface and adjust it with flour to form a dough.
8) Engrave an "X" on the dough, cover it with the film and let it rise until doubling of the dough.
9) Once leavened, put the dough back on the work surface, widening it and dusting it with candied fruit and raisins slightly floured.
10) Roll the dough on itself and fold it several times to mix well, using a little flour.
11) Divide the dough into 3 doses, then into 3 cakes, using a drizzle of Montioni EVO Oil.
12) Place each block in its baking pan and let it leavening for about 3 and a half hours.
13) After rising, bake at 170 degrees for 40 minutes.
Bake the sweet pizzas and brush with two teaspoons of powdered sugar dissolved with the juice of half a lemon. Then put them back in the oven off, but still warm, for another 10 minutes.
The result? Here it is...
Happy Easter from all the staff of the Azienda Agricola Montioni!
See you soon!